Vålerenga has spent the first week at a training camp in Marbella and will soon set course for Portugal and the Atlantic Cup, where Brøndby, Halmstad and Midtjylland are waiting.
This year’s first match against Krasnodar ended with a 0-1 loss on Sunday, but Henrik Bjørdal and the rest of the squad can look back on a good run-through against a solid opponent.
– We met a very good team that has naturally come a little further than us in the run-up. They were ball-safe, so pushing hard for 45 minutes was quite heavy, he says and continues:
– Even though we did not have as much ball as we would like, I think we showed a lot of good and not least gave them real resistance.
Zidane would be proud
Almost everyone played one round each in the first training match of the year, and at that time Bjørdal showed something he hopes the audience can see more of in the coming season.
– I put on my dancing shoes there for a moment. I did not have many involvements in total in the first place, but I at least got to show it there. Fortunately, the camera was well placed as well so that it looked extra good, he says and laughs.
See the situation here:
In addition to the match on Sunday, the boys have put in a lot of training, and Bjørdal is very happy with the level of the sessions and the stay so far.
– WE have trained well in fantastic facilities. Both the gym and the grass court are of top, top class. Dag-Eilev is fortunately of the opinion that it should not be run without a ball, so then there will be very intensive game sessions. It is football that is fun, so then it is nice to be well trained that way, says Bjørdal.
With double sessions several times a week, there will not be time for much else, but a few rounds of card games and a cup of coffee in the sun, the boys have managed to get in.
– The mornings are mostly spent training, eating and relaxing, but we play a little short in the evenings. I announced before departure that Tobias was the team’s best Bridge player, but he has the big disappointment. As of now, it is Oldrup who has delivered the best and he has already earned a good monthly salary, he smiles.