In mid-January, a 13-year-old boy was found dead in Hartford, USA, after being exposed to the synthetic opioid fentanyl.
Later, about 100 bags of the life-threatening substance were found in his own bedroom, the media house writes CNN.
40 bags of fentanyl were also found at the teenager’s school, according to police. The bags found in the boy’s bedroom, as well as those discovered at the school, were packed and stamped in the same way, according to a press release from the police in Hartford.
Exposed to the drug at school
The teenage boy died on January 15 – two days after he was found unconscious at the Academy of Sports and Medical Sciences in Hartford, USA. according to the media house, the boy was exposed to the drug at school.
The boy was in seventh grade at the academy.
Two other students who took the same step also came into contact with the life-threatening substance. All three were taken to hospital.
“We can say with certainty that the fentanyl that caused the overdose to the youth was also the same fentanyl that was found in the boy’s bedroom,” Hartford police said in a press release.
The police believe it was the teenage boy himself who brought the drug to school. Police are now investigating how the deceased came into possession of the fentanyl.
No persons are suspected in the case at present. The 13-year-old had no previous history of drug use, according to a statement from the police.
According to the drug authorities in the United States (DEA), the drug fentanyl is 50 times more powerful than heroin, as well as very inexpensive to produce.
According to CNN, drug use has exploded during the corona pandemic.
Between May 2020 and April 2021, more than 100,000 people died from drug overdoses in the United States. This is an increase of almost 30 percent from the previous year. Over half of these deaths were caused by overdoses associated with fentanyl.
The Biden administration has set aside four billion dollars to fight overdose deaths. Services for substance abuse problems and mental health have also been expanded.