TV 2 meets Espen Bjervig in the arrival hall at Gardermoen on Thursday afternoon. He has just given a negative quick test, and will head towards Beijing with, among others, the lubrication team.
The runners go downhill later.
– The boys get to Norway and leave here on Monday. Then the girls will leave Zurich on Tuesday, Bjervig says.
On Wednesday, it became known that Weng and Kalvå have given positive tests. Experts have argued that one should realize that the train has gone for the duo, and rather give the reserves the best possible time to prepare.
– If you are going to send down others than those who have been taken out, it must be done immediately. Then those who have proven infection must be informed as soon as possible that this will not work, NRK expert Fredrik Aukland has told VG.
TV 2’s cross-country expert Petter Northug thinks it is very unlikely that Weng or Kalvå will reach the Olympics. The first exercise for women will take place on 5 February. Last goes February 20th.
– The Olympics are probably unfortunately for them. They end up in isolation for ten days. This means that they do not get to prepare optimally. They lose important training and preparations for competitions. In addition, they have to postpone the trip and get to China. It will be very difficult, says Northug.
Bjervig holds the cards close to his chest.
– I am used to the so-called experts thinking and saying a lot. We handle things internally, and then we go out with it when we are done with it, says the cross-country manager and smiles behind the mask.
Weng and Kalvå will sit in isolation for ten days. On Thursday 3 February, the duo will come out of isolation.
It is two days before the opening distance in the Olympics, 15 km with ski change. Kalvå and Weng must take a negative PCR test in Italy and several negative tests to enter China.
– How realistic is it to get them to the Olympics?
– I have to rely a little on what the health team also says. It is not impossible, but it is clear that time is tight, Bjervig answers.
– We hope, and will make continuous assessments on whether to deposit reserves or not, he continues.
Johannes Høsflot Klæbo, Therese Johaug and the other cross-country skiers in Seiser Alm are now waiting for answers from the last round of PCR tests.
Bjervig expects them to arrive during the evening, and hopes that he has received good answers before boarding the plane to Beijing.
– What I have heard from them today is that they have been out training, but of course not the two who are infected. There are good conditions and people are healthy and nice. At least there were no new cases in the morning, when I talked to them, says the cross-country manager.
– The more days go by, the brighter and brighter it gets. We can still hope, says Bjervig.