Therese Johaug (33) opens up about the joy after the engagement to Nils Jakob Hoff (36).
Aftenposten collaborates with VG-sporten. Therefore, as an Aftenposten reader, you also get articles and services created by VG.
It was New Year’s Eve Johaug shared the good news on Instagram: A “selfie” with the cohabitant and an engagement ring on the finger. “2021 finally hid the best,” Johaug wrote.
– It was very cool, I will not hide it. It was very, very, very big. I take with me that intoxication of happiness towards the Olympics, says Johaug to VG.
Just over seven years after it became known that Johaug and Hoff were a couple, they took the relationship a step further. They celebrated Christmas together in the heights of the Italian Seiser Alm.
Hoff himself is currently in the spotlight. The 36-year-old is a participant in the “Master of the Masters”, and has “survived” the initial rounds.
From the corner of the sofa, Johaug eagerly follows the NRK program.
– It is very exciting. I do not know the result, so I feel just as excited about each program, says Johaug and smiles.
Hoff is a former rower and has a World Cup gold from 2013 in double sculls. He took bronze in the European Championships the same year and the year before, and also participated in the Olympics in 2012 and 2016. He retired as a rower in 2019.
– He has impressed me so far in any case, says Johaug about Hoff’s efforts so far in “Masters of the Masters”.
The star couple has maintained a fairly low profile throughout. They live idyllically close to Holmenkollen.
Johaug lost both the 2017 World Cup and the 2018 Olympics as a result doping judgments. During the difficult years, Hoff was a very important supporter.
– I would not have managed this without him, Johaug added VG after the comeback victory in 2018.
The ski star is chasing his first individual Olympic gold in Beijing. Johaug runs the first race on 5 February.
Earlier Monday, it became clear that the men’s national team sprint coach Arild Monsen has tested positive for corona. Johaug herself says they have been good at keeping their distance from the gentlemen, and that her fiancé will take several tests ahead of her return from a stay in Seiser Alm.
– It is a situation we do not want. We are at a critical point with a short trip to Norway before the next trip. We are on the run now towards China travel, and then it is important to be insanely careful, Johaug says at a digital press conference on Monday.
Johaug says she should be careful and “really selfish” now.
– If I get sick, it is not meant that I will go to the Olympics, says the 33-year-old.