Wednesday, January 19

At least 19 killed in fire in apartment block in New York

NEW YORK (VG) – One of the worst fires we have witnessed in modern times in New York, says Mayor Eric Adams.

Published:

19 people have been confirmed dead after a fire broke out in a block of flats in the Bronx district of New York City on Sunday, according to local authorities.

Nine of the dead were children, confirms the mayor of New York, Eric Adams, according to, among other things, the news agency AP and CNN.

13 people are hospitalized in critical condition, according to AP.

– This is going to be one of the worst fires we have witnessed in modern times in New York, the mayor said during a press conference on Sunday.

HEAVY START: New York Mayor Eric Adams is brand new to the job. – It is an unparalleled tragedy, he wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

– Started in a broken heater

At least 63 people were injured in the fire in total.

Most of the injured received a lot of smoke, according to New York Fire Commissioner Dan Nigro.

The fire originated in a broken electric heater, Nigro informs according to Reuters late Sunday night Norwegian time.

The fire brigade received reports of the fire shortly before 11 am local time.

Fire investigators believe that the fire started in an apartment on the second and third floors of the building. The door to the apartment was left open, so that the fire spread and the smoke permeated the building.

Several of the apartments in the apartment block have been converted into smaller rooms, and that made the extinguishing work difficult, says a spokesman for the fire service.

“People were trapped in their apartments throughout the building,” Nigro said on Sunday.

The fire brigade found injured people on almost every floor in the block, many had cardiac and respiratory arrest. Around 200 firefighters worked at the site on Sunday.

TOOK FIRE: The fire department believes the fire in the apartment building in New York started in an apartment on the second and third floors of the building.

VG on site: Major damage

As VG is on site a little before 16.00 local time, the police have blocked off the streets towards the building.

Some windows on the block have been broken, including windows that extend several floors upwards. From some windows hang carpets that may indicate that there are people who have tried to get out.

VG’s journalist on site also describes that there is major damage to the building.

Smelled smoke

VG meets Julia Fowler at the building. She lives on the ninth floor and got out safely with her family.

– I was at home with the family and we smelled smoke, she says and goes on to say that they first covered the doors with towels.

Eventually she got out with the children. Her two cats escaped.

As they walked down the floor, it was dark, wet and full of glass, Fowler describes.

– I tremble, but thanks to God we are ok. It could have been much worse, she says to VG.

Outside the building, Tiffany Diaz is also standing with her son Mason. They live on the ground floor. Diaz was cooking when she suddenly smelled strong smoke.

She goes out and sees large amounts of smoke.

– I got scared and took my son and went out.

Only then did she see that it was burning.

She has been told that now that the fire has been extinguished she can re-enter the apartment, but has not done so yet.

– I’m still a little scared, she says.

SMOKE: Around 200 firefighters were on site on Sunday during the rescue operation.

The Bronx is one of five boroughs in New York City, and is the poorest of the five boroughs.

Almost 32 years ago, the same neighborhood in New York saw one of its worst fires in which 87 lives were lost.

On Wednesday, 13 people died when a fire broke out in a municipal apartment block in Philadelphia in the USA on Wednesday this week. Seven of them were children.

It was the deadliest fire in Philadelphia in more than 100 years, writes ABC 6.

The fire may have started when a five-year-old was playing with a lighter, which may have set fire to a Christmas tree. There are said to be four smoke alarms in the building, which are owned by Philadelphia’s housing authorities, but none of them were in use.

Reference-www.vg.no

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *