26 “armed criminals” have been killed and 18 wounded, while more than 3,000 have been arrested, according to the Interior Ministry of Kazakhstan, according to Ria Novosti.
The Ministry of the Interior has previously warned that rebels who did not listen to the demand that they lay down their arms would be killed, writes Ria Novosti, who also reports that all government buildings have been cleared of protesters.
Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev says in a statement that the constitutional order in the country has been restored after several days of unrest and riots.
– The security forces are working hard. The constitutional order has been roughly restored in all regions, the statement said on Friday.
Furthermore, the president adds that the security operations will continue until “the total destruction of the rebels”.
Ria Novosti announced on Thursday night that shots could be heard in Almaty, Kazakhstan’s largest city. In videos published by journalists in the city, one can hear violent gunfire.
The country has in recent days been marked by riots and demonstrations that have been cracked down on by the authorities. Dozens of protesters and at least 18 policemen are said to have been killed, and hundreds injured.
On Wednesday, Tokayev asked for help from a Russian-led military alliance to control the demonstrations and riots in the country. The forces from the CSTO alliance were sent to Kazakhstan after a short time.
The UN and the EU are among those who have expressed concern about the situation, and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has in talks with his Kazakh counterpart called for a peaceful solution to the situation.