There are very poor driving conditions in Vesterålen on Sunday. A bus with 22 passengers ended up in the ditch after being blown off the road in severe storms.
A half-full bus ended up in the ditch at Myrland along the E10 in Hadsel in Nordland. There were 22 people on board.
The bus was on the side so that the main doors could not be opened.
– It goes well with the passengers. No people are critically injured, but two of them have pain in the head and neck, said operations manager Remi Johansen in Nordland police district to VG.
– Everyone is awake and ready, some of them have received a blow to the window, he adds.
Do you have photos from the storm? Tip us in VG here
The bus has emergency exits that could be opened, but the police asked them to stay inside the bus until new transport arrived as a result of extremely bad weather. The bus arrived at 11 o’clock and took over the passengers.
Just before 12 o’clock, the police stated that one person was transported to Svolvær to be examined at the emergency room. The rest of the passengers were taken on to Evenes.
The tour bus was commissioned by Tide. Tide has canceled all departures in Nordland, Flybuss and other tour assignments until further notice due to the bad weather.
– The incident was handled, and everyone on board was taken care of by emergency services locally, says communications manager Marianne Frønsdal in Tide Buss to VG.
Another bus has overturned
About an hour after the first bus overturned, a message came that another bus had also blown off the road.
– Only the driver is in the bus, and he is doing well, says Johansen.
It was the driver himself who reported the rollover.
– An ambulance arrives to check on him for safety.
The overturned buses are about 50 kilometers apart.
– People must consider whether it is necessary to go on a trip because there are very demanding driving conditions in many places. We also see that roads are quickly closed where there are already difficult driving conditions.
Sent out orange danger warning
In Nordland and Troms, there is generally a lot of wind with both stiff and strong gales in several places, and an orange warning has been issued. A strong gale is blowing as far south as Brønnøysund and north along the coast and in the mountains.
It is expected that Finnmark will also get a lot of wind during the day. In Troms, locally strong gusts of 27-35 meters per second are expected from the southeast.
In some places in Troms it is also up in a storm. Combined with heavy snowfall at Christmas and slippery roads, it creates difficult driving conditions for those returning home from the Christmas holidays.
– It is a complex situation. In addition to strong winds now, there has been a lot of snow at Christmas. Loose snow and wind lead to snowdrifts and difficult driving conditions. There are opportunities for set roads in both Nordland and Troms, says meteorologist on duty Gunnar Noer at the Meteorological Institute in northern Norway.
There is also a yellow danger warning for slippery roads in Nordland as a result of freezing rain. The danger warning is valid until Monday.
– Take it easy and pay attention to slippery roads. Look at the road signs if there are closed bridges and canceled ferries, Noer encourages.
Will move north
According to the Meteorological Institute precipitation and strong winds are forecast throughout the county on Sunday. In addition, an orange warning has been sent out about very strong gusts in Helgeland, Saltfjellet, Salten and Ofoten.
An orange warning for avalanches has also been sent out in Vesterålen, Lofoten, Ofoten and Salten, among others, according to Varsom.no.
– Right now it is worst in the north of Nordland with both snow and wind. At the airport in Bodø, there is a stiff gale and heavy snow, says on-duty meteorologist in Storm Geo, Olav Krogsæter.
The storm is gradually heading north and will, according to the meteorologist this afternoon and evening, move towards Troms and partly West Finnmark.
– If you do not have to go out, it can be good to stay indoors because it will be quite hectic, says the meteorologist.
– The police in Nordland encourage everyone to take their precautions, both when it comes to loose objects, and whether it is necessary to embark on a longer drive, the police in Nordland write on Twitter.
In Troms, the weather conditions are currently calm, but the police are following the situation closely.
– For the time being, it is calm with flat seas in Tromsø city, but we know that the weather is heading north and expect it to pick up during the day, says operations manager in Troms Robin Lindberg.
– Everyone is informed and the state administrator has sent out a danger warning, so we are well aware of that.