Sunniva Borgen was born on December 8, 1997. The energetic, cheerful, and caring girl was only 23 years old. A few days after parents Siv Yndestad Borgen and Arne Petter Borgen lost their only daughter in September, they decided:
– Being something for others and being a fellow human being, it was very important to her. We set up a memorial fund so that those values would live on in her name, instead of her being defined for the horrific murder she was subjected to, says Sunniva’s mother Siv to TV 2.
They want their daughter to be remembered for the good, committed and caring person she was, rather than for what she was exposed to.
On Wednesday 8 December, Sunniva would have turned 24 years old. Every day on her daughter’s birthday, the family will honor her by supporting someone who makes a difference for vulnerable young people.
– It has been a very short time since the memorial fund was established, but we wanted to mark this day, which we call Sunniva Day, with a distribution, says Siv Yndestad Borgen.
The first distribution after Sunniva was killed goes to the organization Robin Hood House, which receives 30,000 kroner.
– The values you work from are based on the values you Sunniva stood for, and which Sunniva’s memorial fund stands for, says Yndestad Borgen during the award ceremony.
– Will remember this for the rest of my life
The Robin Hood House is a drug-free and philosophy-neutral meeting place for the financially disadvantaged and network seekers in Bergen. Sunniva’s Memorial Fund points out that the organization focuses on the individual and human dignity, and that they see people who have fallen outside without being able to do anything about it themselves.
– We are sure that this money that has been given to us to support young and vulnerable will be used in the spirit of Sunniva, says Yndestad Borgen.
So far this year, the organization has arranged 99 different family activities for just over 400 children. The gift of 30,000 kroner means that even more families get a place to go.
– It means a lot, we really appreciate this contribution. It will mean a lot to a lot of people, and I think I will remember this day for the rest of my life, says project employee Sunniva Bakke.
She says that there is a wide range of people who take advantage of the foundation’s offer.
– Many of those who come here seek networks, or come because they do not have the opportunity to participate in expensive leisure activities. We focus both on being an economic door opener, but also on building competence and leisure activities and outdoor life in Norway.
Believe in something good
Sunniva’s father has previously said that he hopes the fund will make a difference for someone who really needs a boost.
Because her daughter was brutally killed, her death received media attention. Known and unknown sent messages, greetings, food and flowers. The support the family received was overwhelming.
– Everyone is so shaken by such an event, that contributing to a foundation or a fund that has positive guidelines helps others to cope with such a cruel situation as this is, said mother Siv.
The family thanks for all the consideration and now wants to draw attention to others who may need support.
– We have received such enormous support that it is almost as if we think that the world is almost as good as Sunniva thought it was, said Yndestad Borgen.